TEDxKinda Project: Making Predictions
Your challenge is to make predictions with regression, using one of the following tools:
- Microsoft Excel—spreadsheet software
- Video tutorial—Doing Regression in Excel
- OpenOffice or LibreOffice—free office suites (including spreadsheet software) for download
- TI-graphing calculators (e.g., TI Nspire, TI 84, etc.)
- Video tutorial—How to use TI-graphing calculators to perform regressions
- Processing (*very challenging!)
Explore a few data sets, and generate regressions with them. These regressions may allow you to make predictions or identify patterns of change over time. When you perform an effective and informative regression, take a screenshot of the data visualization. Be sure to examine data sets that are related to your TEDxKinda topic, so that you can apply your work to your ultimate presentation.
Submit a document (e.g., .doc or .pdf) that includes the following items:
- A proper heading (including names, date, assignment, and title).
- A data visualization of the regression (see example below).
- An explanation of how you performed the regression.
- A hypothesis explaining the trend in the regression (i.e., What’s the story?).